We’ve all seen those “Things Not To Say To Someone With Depression” posts. And while they are all well meant and beneficial on many occasions we should not forget there are things we can say to someone with depression or anxiety to show them our support.
I’ve tried to make a list of things people have said to me that helped me while I suffered severely from depression and anxiety. Some are things I wish that people would’ve said.
- I understand and acknowledge that you are in pain, the intense emotion will pass and I will stay with you through it.
- What can I do for you?
- Even if I don’t know what depression is like, I will not leave. I want to learn and understand.
- Can I give you a hug?
- I’ll give you the space and time you need.
- Let’s go for a walk.
- Your thoughts and emotions are not who you are. You are so much more than them.
- Don’t give up. There’s help to get and I’ll help you find it.
- You are welcome as you are, you don’t have to perform.
- You can always call if you need me, even in the middle of the night.
- We’d love to have you around even if you don’t feel like being social. You can just be.
- I don’t know what anxiety and depression feels like, but I give you my company.
- You matter, even though you might not feel that you do right now.
- I listen to you and take what you say seriously.
- We love you and are not giving up on you.
I don’t claim this list to be universal, but these comments from others have been very helpful to me. I hope they can help others too.
What are some things someone has said to you that you found helpful, or something you said that helped someone?
Take care, be safe.